About Amica Helping Hands
What is Amica Helping Hands?
Registered as a not-for-profit charity in 2003, Amica Helping Hands Community Program supports underprivileged Canadian seniors by:
- Initiating and coordinating donations of money, goods and services throughout Canada for the sole benefit of underprivileged
- Promoting the welfare of and the relief of distress of these seniors
What is the Helping Hands basket program?
- Every December, Amica distributes baskets full of non-perishable foods, multiple gift certificates including one for a local supermarket and a drug store, and a warm blanket to seniors in need
- To date, Amica team members and residents have assembled and distributed more than 19,435 baskets – valued at $100 each – in partnership with local associations that provide services to seniors
- Most recipients of the baskets live alone and in poverty
- These baskets will be the only gift many seniors will receive over the holidays and throughout the year
How else does Amica Helping Hands help seniors in need?
In addition to the basket program, Amica Helping Hands supports the work of not-for-profit agencies and community centres across Canada that assist seniors in need. Donations have allowed agencies in British Columbia and Ontario to:
- Provide funds to expand health, wellness and social programs
- Renovate recreation rooms for wellness programs for seniors living in supportive housing; and
- Purchase equipment including passenger vans for senior centres in impoverished neighbourhoods to improve the quality of life of the seniors they serve
Fundraising for Helping Hands takes place at the community level and the corporate level. Every year, Amica corporate office organizes a fundraising gala for Helping Hands. Click here to learn more about our annual corporate fundraiser.
Each year, Amica hosts a fundraising dinner with all proceeds going to the Amica Helping Hands charity. The 2017 event will be held November 2, 2017 in downtown Toronto at the Omni King Edward Hotel.
At our 2016 fundraiser, industry leaders from senior living, finance, the legal profession and other businesses joined Amica residents and team members to raise more than half a million dollars to support seniors in need. View the highlight video from the 2016 fundraiser here: https://www.amica.ca/helping-hands-event/
More information and tickets for this year’s event will be available soon.
If you’d like to sponsor the 2017 Amica Helping Hands fundraiser, please contact Sarah Santaluce, Amica Brand Manager:
Request for Funding:
Each year the Amica Helping Hands charity gifts capital donations to local organizations helping seniors in need. The recipients will be selected by the Board of Directors of Amica Helping Hands based on written submissions and interviews with applicant organizations. Successful applicants will receive up to $50,000 to fund a project that will support underprivileged seniors in their area. To submit an application for funding, click here.