About Amica Helping Hands
What is Amica Helping Hands?
Registered as a not-for-profit charity in 2003, Amica Helping Hands Community Program supports underprivileged Canadian seniors by:
- Initiating and coordinating donations of money, goods and services throughout Canada for the sole benefit of underprivileged
- Promoting the welfare of and the relief of distress of these seniors
What is the Helping Hands basket program?
- Every December, Amica distributes baskets full of non-perishable foods, multiple gift certificates including one for a local supermarket and a drug store, and a warm blanket to seniors in need
- To date, Amica team members and residents have assembled and distributed more than 19,435 baskets – valued at $100 each – in partnership with local associations that provide services to seniors
- Most recipients of the baskets live alone and in poverty
- These baskets will be the only gift many seniors will receive over the holidays and throughout the year
How else does Amica Helping Hands help seniors in need?
In addition to the basket program, Amica Helping Hands supports the work of not-for-profit agencies and community centres across Canada that assist seniors in need. Donations have allowed agencies in British Columbia and Ontario to:
- Provide funds to expand health, wellness and social programs
- Renovate recreation rooms for wellness programs for seniors living in supportive housing; and
- Purchase equipment including passenger vans for senior centres in impoverished neighbourhoods to improve the quality of life of the seniors they serve